UTF-8 locale (was: Strange bug in QSvgRenderer and KDE)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Jul 7 13:14:32 BST 2007

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 10:56:34AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> So any idea how to check user has not a LC_ALL set and warn him?
> >
> > I'd say not really needed. The user is in a lot of other similar
> > trouble anyway if his locale is not UTF-8 ready, so KDE needs not
> > lul him. The sooner the user feels the problem, the better. Or, to
> > put it more friendly, distributions should make sure UTF-8 locale is
> > used by default.
>
> KDE 4 will not work properly in non UTF-8 locales.
>
> Therefore, all users need to switch to UTF-8.

what kind of bad joke is this? do you realize *how* much utf8-incapable
software is out there and in actual use? i tried switching to utf8 twice
in recent years. forget it.

> Reason (one of many, but this one I can speak authoritatively for):
> URLs are always encoded in UTF-8. Which means that they are encoded in
> UTF-8 for local files too.

this argument does not make sense. urls and the system locale are
different namespaces. actually, filenames and the terminal (==
LC_MESSAGES) should be different namespaces as well, but i don't think
this is supported by LC_* - gtk has an own env var for filenames.