Reminder: KComponentData changes (please help test!)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 7 01:19:59 BST 2007

So far there have been no objections to generalizing the ability to
create KComponentData instances that do not become the global instance
(as currently happens if name=="kdeinit4") (1). Because there have been
no objections, I still plan to commit this Monday, but it would be
really nice if I had more test results. Marijn Kruisselbrink (OSX)
considerately tested this patch (thanks again!) and found no blatant
issues, but it would be really great if someone with Solaris could also
test it (Linux tests can't hurt either but we're more worried about the
more "exotic" platforms).

Why change KCD? In KDE3, styles could not use kdeui. The crashes seem to
be fixed in KDE4, so the remaining problem is that no KComponentData
exists in Qt-only applications unless the style creates one. This patch
allows that to happen in a way that seems safer than risking the style
becoming the global KCD instance (at any rate, Matthias Kretz preferred
it, and I'm not inclined to argue).

If you have time to try the patch, testing directions are at (2). You
need to apply both patches; (1) changes KComponentData, (2) changes
Plastik to take advantage of (1). Also, Mek noted that the kinit_win.cpp
hunk of the patch (1) doesn't seem to want to apply, probably due to DOS
line endings. Unless you are on Windows, presumably it is safe to ignore
this failure :-).

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/43734
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/43735

--