Proxy handling in KDE4

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Jul 5 21:22:10 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> >Did I understand you correct in that you'll be able to implement these
> >your plans (KDE proxying based on QtNetwork) in KDE 4.1 the earliest?
> > (Not complaining, just wanna know...)
>
> Yes, my plans are to work on this for KDE 4.1. The infra-structure will be
> there for KDE 4.0, so you'll be able -- with a bit (not much) of
> hacking -- to change the defaults and just make all KDE applications work
> however you want.

I just want to reiterate in light of this comment that one of the issues I
brought up was the fact that you couldn't *not* make "all" KDE applications
work with the proxy.  A way to set proxies per-application, like how every
application has a Shortcuts/Global Shortcuts, is something that would be
useful -- especially if it were even more finely grained.  For instance, I
end up using Pidgin instead of Kopete because I need to have some connections
go through one proxy, some not go through a proxy at all...etc.

--Jeff