KTemporaryFile::createLocalFile()

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Jul 6 06:47:17 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 06:08:38PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> bah. that does not make sense. aiming for security on such a box is
>> securing the door of a blown up house. one just *has* to make
>> assumptions to get anywhere.
>
> Ok, we'll "assume" that HP-UX is an inherently insecure OS, then :-).

i'd rather assume that the admin of this box is inherently insecure ...

> Regardless, the point, and apparent agreement in this thread, is that
> it's silly to rely on this form of security when there is a secure
> alternative that isn't susceptible to this issue.

well, experience shows that people do it whether the function exists or
not. so the lesser evil seems to be having the function and documenting
exactly under which circumstances it can be used - provided such
circumstances exist on windows, that is.