konqueror 'progress' indicator into kdelibs?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jul 2 01:51:09 BST 2007

Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> busy" indicator in various places in KDE. People know this already and I
>> am sure will appreciate the familiar indicator. This would require the
>> animating logo as it is in konqueror to be moved up to kdelibs.
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>> Anyone that knows where this stuff is can do it? Or tell me enough to do
>> it?
>
> It was in kdelibs in 3.x --- KAnimWidget; but seems like it got moved in
> 4.x..

Actually, it was renamed to: "KAnimatedButton" which is in:

	kdelibs/kdeui/widgets/kanimatedbutton.cpp

The other question is the PNG which this will use.  According to the
Icon Naming spec, there are to be two PGNs:

	animations/process-idle.png
	animations/process-working.png

with the "process-idle" being new, and "process-working" to be the
multiple image like the current: "kde".  With old icon themes, we have
little choice but to rename: "kde" to "process-working" and place the
first frame in the new icon: "process-idle".  However, the use of cross
platform icon names and themes raised an important question.  Do we want
new artwork for these new icons (e.g. Oxygen) to be KDE branded since it
will be used all applications, not just KDE ones.

I would suggest that the new KDE icon themes should include a generic
animation for "process-working" & "process-idle" and KDE branded icons
named: "process-working-kde" & "process-idle-kde".

--
JRT