A11y guidelines for styles in core KDE - style devs, please read!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 3 02:30:09 BST 2007

Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 21:24, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> The usability group has recommended that widgets that currently have
>> input focus be drawn in a different manner using a designated color
>> which is (currently) part of KColorScheme. And we're also attempting to
>> standardize the color used to indicate widgets that can currently be
>> clicked (i.e. the "hover" color).
>>
>> There are two problems: one, apparently none of the style developers has
>> heard about this until now, and two this currently requires styles to
>> link to kdeui (which reportedly causes crashes). So this is an attempt
>> to get the right people reading and involved in the conversation.
>>
>> We need to figure out some resolution, and if it involves API changes,
>> we need to figure one out *fast* (else at best we already have dead
>> API's in kdeui).
>
> It seems to me that this is a perfect example of why you should have
> done this in a branch until you've proved that the API works and is
> usable, and only then merged it into trunk.

And for the optimists in the audience... thanks to some timely help from
David Faure and Matthias Kretz, I think I have the second issue
resolved. Not as cleanly as I would like (basically, styles can't use
KGlobal, and therefore a workaround is needed; more tomorrow when I can
get the patch assembled for presentation), but I'm not seeing any
problems, so it looks like styles can safely (read: carefully!) use
kdeui after all.

--
Matthew
/bin/sh -- still Bourne on Solaris (and still not POSIX compliant)