3.5.6 'make check' problems... LOTS of them

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 31 22:53:57 GMT 2007

David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 20:09, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> I had a number of failures running 'make check' on a pristine 3.5.6
>>> kdelibs (I am building on another box over ssh with X forwarding enabled).
>> I think this mostly shows that the unit tests are not run all that often or
>> all that rigidly (something that should be on the EBN, but isn't due to
>> manpower issues in setting it up). Please *do* submit patches for the various
>> tests.

Especially given David's comments, it would probably take me more time
than it is worth for me to understand the test suites to be able to
offer patches (especially where I know the /solution/ is, or at least
should be, trivial).

> Let's just say, the situation with unit tests in 3.5.x was less than ideal; I'm not sure
> it's worth fixing it at this point.
>
> kdelibs trunk (kde4) has many more tests, and some improvements overall in the aspects
> Matthew mentionned: e.g. some tests which need installed data are skipped when
> kdelibs is not installed. Also dirk has started to look into running the tests after
> the automatic dashboard compilation.

Yes, please, having the tests actually /run/ would seem to fix most of
the problems I found. :-) Running test suites should definitely be part
of automated testing. (And, dare I suggest they must pass before a
package can be released?)

--
Matthew
OFFICER throws a tear gas grenade at you. You start to feel nauseous.
 > OPEN WINDOWS
Sorry, I have a philosophical objection to Microsoft products.