Locking kdecore into memory

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 24 20:50:46 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:03, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 08:31, subbukk wrote:

> > > A lot. :-)
> >
> > True. Pinning all of kdecore into RAM is an overkill as many of its pages
> > may be used rarely or not at all.
>
>  Not all of it, just what's used. I think mlockall( MCL_CURRENT ) at a
> suitable place should do. Besides, 30M is hardly a lot with today's
> machines, I'd gladly give it if I knew I'll never ever see this 1G machine
> dead for minutes or rather even tens of them.

Should this be done always, i.e. also when running a KDE app under
XFCE/Gnome/... ?
I'm not sure this will make a good impression "I just run one single KDE app
and it mlocks() 30 MB of RAM !"
Also what happens if other desktop environments then also consider it a good
idea and Gnome starts locking memory, maybe  Mozilla too and of course OOo
too, then it will somehow suck.

Bye
Alex