Experiments in highlighting widgets that have input focus

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 24 06:33:15 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 01:56, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> A while back there was a thread on usability about arranging things so
> that KDE4 would very prominently mark the widget with active focus. A
> while back I started working on a proof-of-concept mock-up by modifying
> KDE3's plastik style.

Doesn't Qt already does this? I mean, I notice that Krita (and other KDE4
apps) flicker from dark to light gray and back whenever it loses and gains
focus. It is really, really, really annoying, especially for a graphics app
that whenever the user clicks on a floating dock widget, picks a color in a
color dialog or opens a filter dialog or even switches to another document
the surroundings of the image they're working on changes from light to dark.
Every time that happens, the document seems to change color, too, by virtue
of the way the human eye works.

(Of course, with other applications it's very annoying too, but it makes good
graphics applications in KDE4 impossible.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi