Locking kdecore into memory

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Tue Jan 23 16:29:41 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 02:31, subbukk wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 05:31, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 January 2007 17:25, Richard Moore wrote:
> > > On 1/21/07, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > >
> > > So we have some sort of kdeinit like process that runs setuid and
> > > calls mlockall()? That would be able to lock the libraries into ram
> > > I guess. To be useful though, how much would we have to lock?
> > > kdecore, kdelibs, qt, X11 and libc I guess. That's quite a bit.
> >
> > A lot. :-)

[snip]
> I don't think the case for overriding the vm paging logic is sufficiently
> strong. It goes against the Separation of Concerns Principle in design.
> If Linux OOM logic is weak, it would be better to get it fixed than to
> have KDE work guess around it.
>
> Subbu

Subbu, there is a little fallacy in your logic here. Lubos _has_ talked with
Kernel hackers about getting the OOM fixed, and they plain aren't interested
in fixing it as stated by him before on this list. This is WHY there is this
discussion about what to do about it. While I agree that having much of the
core locked in memory would drastically up the amount of RAM needed to run
KDE on a daily level, I do agree that having a working task manager at all
times would be nice, since I've had several cases where my system started
spinning its wheels and locking up the UI so badly, that I couldn't use the
system, let alone kill the processes, and had to restart X11 and KDE when the
OOM killer killed X instead of the process that actually was the culprit
(incidentally, building OO.org is one of the culprits with having only 512MB
of RAM installed on a system....)

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net