Can Q_GLOBAL_STATIC replace KStaticDelete ?

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Tue Jan 23 00:52:59 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 18:39, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > >Don't initialise the variable. This saves us 4 bytes in the executable.
> >
> > Forget what I said above. The compiler is smart enough to know that
> > initialising to 0 is the same as placing on the .bss. So, by all means,
> > initialise it.
>
> Sure ? I didn't know that. All versions of gcc ? In all optimization levels
> ? For variables of which types ?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions but I don't think it really
matters.

I'd rather be safe and initialize a value and perhaps take a 4 byte hit rather
than leave it uninitialized and rig it so that the value is initialized
before it is used.  (Either by some sort of init function or maybe a compiler
flag to force into .bss?)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne