Locking kdecore into memory

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 22:04:23 GMT 2007

On 1/19/07, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > IIRC mlock is only available as root so we can't do that.
>
>  (Is it really simpler to send a mail that's wrong than just skimming over the
> manpage?) Having a small setuid helper just locking all libraries in memory
> wouldn't be a big deal. And in fact even non-root apps can do that, up to the
> set ulimit, but it's set to quite low value, at least here. It'd be nice if
> it was higher, important apps then could just do mlockall() and that'd be it,
> but I'm not quite sure people setting these limits would share our point of
> view.
>
>  PS: I wonder, would this be Linux-only or does OOM suck also with other
> systems?

And since I used to work on software that used to use this call a lot
I know the answer to that question eg. from the freebsd man page
'These calls are only available to the super-user.'  or we could look
at solaris 'Because of the  impact  on  system  resources,  the  use
of mlock() and munlock() is restricted to the superuser.'

Looking at a linux man page and generalising is often a mistake. You
can also get bitten by the fact that if two processes lock a page, and
one unlocks it the page gets unlocked - there is no ref count.

Rich.