Re: kDebug improvements

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Jan 17 13:16:27 GMT 2007

On Wed Jan 17 2007 8:43, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wed Jan 17 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Changing the items you mention means changing _all_ the kDebug calls
> > we have now. Which IMO is not only not worth it, its too risky to
> > piss off a huge amount of developers.
>
> I don't see how the proposed changes would break up the kDebug calls.
> Sure, they will look different (two space sometimes instead of one, and
> extra quotes), but unless the developer used some kind of filtering
> program that depends on the exact output, for the human eye, this
> shouldn't be a big problem.
> And removing the extra << endl could be done in one go throughout the
> code. Actually here is the only issue, about how to deal with:
> kDebug() << "somestring";
> somecode
> kDebug() << "anotherstring" << endl;
> if such case exists at all. IIRC kDebug already warns you about missing
> endl.
>
> I'm all for it, as it would really make things easier, especially this
> endl stuff.

I agree. The current *obligatory* endl for each call seems pointless,
so removing it would be a good idea. But quoting of arguments should be
done only for actual QString parameters - anything else, including
quoted strings, should be output without quotes.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.