kDebug improvements

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jan 17 10:39:01 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 00:37, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is kind of a feature request and to get the thoughts of the kdelibs
> developers on this. I don't recall any discussion about kDebug (except
> for the naming change) in the last couple of months..
>
> How about making kDebug work like qDebug, so it

 Speaking of kDebug working like qDebug, I don't think we should take it too
far. Basically I'd like to see r608522 reverted, if only I knew how :( :

- the template stream operator is awfully hungy. I have few additional kdebug
operators in kwin and after this change the type has to exactly match my
operator. As soon as there's a const added or it's an inherited class all I
get is a classname and the pointer value, really useful :(.

- the output format for data types includes unnecessary information that just
makes it longer and harder to read. I know that e.g. a window position is a
point, what else could it be, so why do I need to be told that it's a QPoint?
I wasn't the only one disliking this after this change had been made IIRC.

 The problem with reverting that commit is however that it'd again introduce
kdecore dependency on ui types. Ideas?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz