Thoughts on uiserver

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 15 20:38:30 GMT 2007

On Monday 15 January 2007 12:19, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > - should the uiserver still belong to KIO now that it handles Jobs other
> > than input/output operations? other reasons apart from the history of it?
>
> Well, that's not my decision :P. We have planned maybe moving it to
> plasma, but I think the server itself should be on kio (kdelibs).

we'll still need something for the case where the kde apps are not run in the
native kde workspace. so the uiserver app is still needed. whether it should
move to kdebase/runtime or not is another matter.

i'd like to see it be a dbus autostart service that gives up the binding to
the dbus service when another app requests it. this will allow kde apps to
work fine in non-kde envs (without app start up penalties as uiserver doesn't
need to be started unless it gets used) and will handle the case where the
user logs into kde, plasma isn't running yet but a kjob starts...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se