Moving kdeeduplot to kdelibs

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Jan 10 14:24:28 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 11:10, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Instead of having extra libraries that depend on multiple modules (like
> koffice and kdeedu),

This is not about libraries. This is about a component that happens to ship
like a library. Much like krita is an application that happens to ship like a
library.

> we'd do better to extract the libraries from koffice
> (like pigment) that would be useful to apps outside koffice and the
> libraries from kdeedu that would be useful to apps outside edu -- and so
> on, digikam hsa a couple of useful libraries as well -- and make those
> libraries, like kdepimlibs, only depend on kdelibs, not on their ancestral
> modules.

This, to me, is an entirely different subject.  Many parts in the KOfice
libraries (flake as a great example) have a broader usage than just KOffice.
Pigment and some other KOffice libs join that rank.
When some dust has settled in KOffice and we did a lot of cleanup in the libs
I think we should make a kofficelibs module.
I'd find that a very different idea than reusing widgets between modules.

Eventually we should move for a KOffice libs module. Which then includes
pigment. But that has no bearing on this thread.

For those not into KOffice; here is what pigment is;
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Pigment
--
Thomas Zander