private slots

André Wöbbeking Woebbeking at kde.org
Sat Jan 6 10:32:23 GMT 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 11:19, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> André Wöbbeking wrote:

> > Maybe a bad habit but very often I use the source code instead of
> > the docs so I would "find" the _k_* slot very fast.
>
> That's pretty irrelevant.  Ideally you're not trying to write broken
> applications and are smart enough to figure out that you're not
> supposed to call those functions.  ;-)

Well, it's about writing working software. Sometimes the public API
isn't sufficient and the programmer is looking for workarounds (as
mentioned before, even #define private public). Of course programmers
shouldn't use such hacks.

Most the time an API author has good reasons to make parts of the API
private and he is probably not happy if access control can be bypassed
so easily.