remove QtGui dependence of kdecore

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 15:45:35 GMT 2007

Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> On another topic, do you think it make sens to split kio in kio_core
>> and kio_ui ?   this would allow to use kioslave in console
>> application.
>
>How useful is that, is it worth it?
>
>It affects 99% of all KDE applications, they have to link against /yet/
>another library (not helping with startup time and the generated code
> that calls between kio_ui and _core), just for this one or two
> applications that don't want to link against gui?

Discussing this with Kévin yesterday (Olivier had unfortunately just
timed-out in IRC), we actually came to a better wording:

Continue to move non-GUI code out of KIO into kdecore, like it was done
with the KIO::Job split into KJob. This should be done where it's
needed -- and Kévin has use-cases.

But please balance this extra weight in kdecore against light-weight
applications that don't use KIO at all. How much do we gain by starting
ioslaves in non-GUI applications, as opposed to how much we lose in
non-GUI applications that don't use ioslaves?

I hope everyone understands that creating a new library is out of the
question.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358