remove QtGui dependence of kdecore

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 13:30:17 GMT 2007

Hello.

We have almost done, we can almost get ride of the QtGUI dependence into
kdecore.
I still see only few dependencies, listed by order of difficulty to get ride
of them (IMO)

- KDebug
    has an operator with QWidget,  could be moved into kdeui, but in which
include ?   probably better to remove it,  it just add the geometry

- KStringHandler
     use QFontMetrics in some functions which truncate strings to limit them
to some size.
    maybe theses function could be removed because QFontMetrics provide
directly the feature since Qt 4.2

- KAboutData use QImage for the program logo.
    An easy way to get ride of this dependence is to use QVariant.
    Another would be to only use QImage* or even QImage&, without making
copies, so it would not be required to link against QtGui

- KLibLoader
     clear the clipboard when uploading a plugin because the clipboard may
contains object from this plugin.

- KConfigBase and KConfigSkeleton
     Allow to store QColor, QFont and probably more. This is probably the more
difficult to get ride of.  I have no idea what to do here.

So if you have idea to solve the two last issues, and specially the last which
is critical, one can get ride of QtGui in kdecore next Tuesday^W Monday

On another topic, do you think it make sens to split kio in kio_core and
kio_ui ?   this would allow to use kioslave in console application.

Happy new year,
--
Olivier