The future of Sonnet

Jacob R Rideout kde at jacobrideout.net
Tue Jan 2 17:49:38 GMT 2007

> Qt already includes this, albeit privately. We're also working on adding
> all character names to kdeui (because of the KCharMap class).
>
> What property do you need from a character that you can't find in QChar?

As far as I know, Qt uses data from unicode 4. I'd like to
incorporated some of the changes that occured in Unicode 5, but if Qt
included the data I needed, then 4 would be ok.

QChar doesn't include an ability to query which block (usually this
means script type) a character belongs to. It also doesn't allow you
to query some other the other data included in the technical reports
or annexes, including tr29 which is used for the text breaks class.
This data includes a bunch of special categorization that only is
relevant, if used in the context of text breaking code. This is
especially important for handling the more exotic orthographies of the
world. I'd also like to be able to allow users or language specific
distros to change the mappings, although this may be unnecessary
and/or foolish.

Thanks

Jacob