KApplication::notify

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jan 2 14:18:35 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 23:58, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> one of the other methods caught my eye in the process: notify. this method
> is called for pretty well each and every event passed through the app.
> notify was doing three things:
>
>  - ensuring ctrl+u works in line edits
>  - ensuring that KStandardShortcut::selectAll() is honored in QLineEdits
> and QTextEdits
>  - helping with startup notification
>
> the latter seems to be working fine in qt4 right now, so this code
> shouldn't be needed anymore.

 Not quite. Please leave that part there for now.

> this is particularly nice since it was code
> run for every event for the life of the app and applied to every top level
> window.

 Toplevel widgets don't really get show events that often and for the rest
it's just few instructions.

> my proposal is therefore that we (i) remove KApplication::notify this
> coming monday. it's one less symbol and less code executed on each event.

 I don't think it'd show up in any profiling results, but since it's called
only from Qt it should be easy to add it back if it's needed for some
workaround again, so it should be ok. Assuming the startup notification code
is really not needed anymore.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz