dbus+Service name+error

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Mon Jan 1 13:01:45 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 23:15, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >seems like we're abusing one namespace (web urls) to populate another
> > (dbus methods). there really isn't any meaningful correspondence
> > between the two as you've shown with the kmid example.
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> There is a relationship: the service names are globally unique and stem
> from the DNS hierarchy. So, the only way for KMyApplication to be allowed
> to use org.kde.kmyapplication is if and only if kmyapplication.kde.org is
> reserved to THAT application. (It doesn't have to have a webpage at that
> address or even resolve, but it must be reserved)

Yes, what makes domain names interesting, regardless of what they're used for,
is that they give unique URIs. The usage doesn't have to be HTTP/web related,
it's just that they provide unique identifiers.

If editing/updating the URI guidelines can be of any help here, feel free to
ping me. http://developer.kde.org/policies/uri-guidelines.xhtml

Cheers,

		Frans