moving strigi

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:16:47 GMT 2007

2007/2/28, Christian Ehrlicher <Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de>:
> Jos van den Oever schrieb:

> >> Does that mean that kdelibs and kdebase will require strigi to be
> >> installed?
> >> If so, the building documentation should be updated.
> > Yes it will. So far no index is required, so CLucene or sqlite are not
> > required yet. Only the metadata and text extraction functionality will
> > go in for now. This means the only required dependencies are
> > libcrypto, libz and libbz2. libmagic and libexpat/libxerces are
> > optional.
> >
> So why not moving strigi directly into kdelibs instead adding a new
> depedency?

This may sound strange, but Strigi is useful without KDE. I will
continue releasing it as an independent library. It contains libraries
and programs that are quite useful for other desktop search tools and
programs that need to have a nice api for getting at metadata or
embedded files.
Check my FOSDEM presentation for the details:
 http://www.kde.org/kdeslides/fosdem2007/2007-02-vandenoever-strigi_internals.pdf