KConfig vs. QSettings (was Re: Porting problems with KMainWindow::readProperties())

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 28 17:02:24 GMT 2007

On 28.02.07 17:31:30, Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Stephan Kulow <coolo at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> >Engage!
>
> In the meanwhile, would it be useful if my Settings class were
> imported into kdelibs (maybe renaming it to something like
> KXMLSettings)?
> I think that some applications use / would like to use xml settings,
> and this class would avoid direct manipulation of the DOM.

Just my personal pov: I doubt that. Looking at kdevelop which does use
an xml file do store its project information it turns out that the xml
format only bloats the file. I guess the main reason for introducing it
was that neither KConfig nor QSettings could provide nested groups in
KDE3, which is now possible. So I really don't see the need to have an
xml backend in kdelibs.

However, I'm just a newbie kdevelop developer, so what do I know ;) In
any case, xml storage should be added as a pluggable backend to KConfig
- I recall there was a discussion "long ago" wether kde should have the
possibility to use a user/app-defined backend for storage of its
configuration, not sure what the result of that was though...

Andreas

--
You will not be elected to public office this year.