KConfig vs. QSettings (was Re: Porting problems with KMainWindow::readProperties())

Paolo Capriotti p.capriotti at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:10:51 GMT 2007

On 2/27/07, Stephan Kulow <coolo at kde.org> wrote:

> > That's really something the framework should offer!
> Yeah, and it shouldn't be _too_ hard to implement - the API can offer it
> easily, in kconfiggroups having a group() - but it somehow needs to map it
> to the ini file.

I've implemented a hierarchical settings framework with a couple
additional features like the ability to store a collection of settings
as an array or a map, and some syntactical sugar to make common
operations easy to type.
You can find it here: http://kboard.sourceforge.net/settings.
I would volunteer to merge these features into KConfig if you people
like my approach, but there could be some issues with the backend (as
my class is currently bound to an XML representation of the
configuration structure).

Regards,

Paolo Capriotti