organizing kdebase

Andras Mantia amantia-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 25 13:31:25 GMT 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 24, 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > If the signal to packager is that kdebase without tools is consider
> > enough for a dependency of a kde-core metapackage, then tools like
> > kdialog, kread/kwriteconfig need to be in runtime.
> >
> > If the signal is that this is purely a matter of internal
> > organisation and that packages should treat binaries in tools like
> > binaries in runtime, e.g. have them both in a kdebase-bin package,
> > then I see no problem.
>
> i think this is up to packagers at the end of the day no matter what
> we do. this simply helps categorize things "properly". a proper
> kde-core metapackage would indeed include runtime/ and tools/ (and
> apps/ too, imho), but the -minimal dependency- from kdebase for an
> end-user application is runtime/.
>
> jakob is quite right about the oddness of including only some
> scripting requirements and not others, but i figured i wouldn't go
> there ... now that someone has, it's quite true as far as showing why
> we don't shove every scripting support facility into runtime/ ... or
> maybe we do and include things like the kommander runtime.
>
> speaking of kommander, i'd personally like to see it in
> kdebase/tools/ (or runtime/tools/, whatever) so that it's more
> dependably reliable. if we ship kdialog, not shipping kommander is a
> bit odd. we provide kdialog in part because of xdialog, no doubt, but
> kommander is ++xdialog so not having it there seems like we're
> missing an opportunity.
>
> just imagine how much more popular kommander utilities would be if
> everyone had the runtime? =)
>
> i'm cc'ing the kommander team as this is my invitation to them to
> discuss this possibility.

Somehow this mail did not reach the kommander list, but well, I reply
there as well, maybe they will get it. ;-) Unfortunately Kommander was
not ported at all to KDE4 at this moment, so its rather early to
discuss about where to move it. The reason behind the non-existant port
are various, I don't discuss here. But I can safely say that the goal
of the Kommander team is to have the executable part of the KDE
workspace and kdebase/tools or kdebase/runtimes would be a great place.
Kommander seems to be quite popular (100+scripts on kde-apps Kommander
section and some which are in other sections), so if we manage to port
in time for KDE4 (and solve the possible issues regarding security
raised by some devels), we believe it should be in kdebase in a place
where developers can rely that distributions will install it.
I think it all comes down to our policy and how we present this policy
to the packagers. If we say that a KDE installation must have kdelibs,
kdebase/runtime, kdebase/workspace and kdebase/utils(tools), but not
kdebase/apps (as those apps can have replacement ones in other places,
eg. another text editor, not KWrite), then it really doesn't matter if
kdialog and kommander is in utils or tools. What it matters is that it
is not in apps, which is not "mandatory".

Andras

PS: Sorry for the double post, and to Aaron, you wrote the wrong address
for kommander-devel. ;-)