Zeroconf in KDE4

Hubert Figuiere hub at figuiere.net
Fri Feb 23 19:37:52 GMT 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 22, 2007, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>>> If it makes any difference, Apple's mDNSResponder is now licensed under
>>> Apache 2.0/BSD (the shared library part is BSD).
>> Why just not using Avahi?
>
> perhaps you could explain the benefits of Avahi compared to mDNSResponder for
> those of us who don't follow either project?

0/ it is a Free software community project, unlike Apple's mDNSResponder
that is mostly Apple project released as open source. That means Avahi
developement is likely to be much more responsive to the requirements
leveraged by Free Desktop implementation that Apple's.

1/ it is LGPL licensed. I know that mDNSResponder licensing has been
resolved...

2/ it has a D-Bus interface. KDE4 already switched to D-Bus.

3/ it has compatibility libraries. That means existing code is supposed
to work with Avahi without trouble. Seemless migration, and you still
have a plan B to support *non-free* platform, like mentionned earlier.

4/ it is used by Gnome (or at least several of their mainstream
applications), and that later point to strictly emphasize the common
platform to implement Free Desktop. That also means that you don't have
to incompatible implementations of the same desktop-independent stack if
you run both Free Desktop on the same machine. Yes there are a lot
people that end up runing both because of their choice of applications.
Combination that comes to mind are amaroK under Gnome for example.

More info from the project itself:
http://avahi.org/wiki/AboutAvahi

All in all, I think it is a better choice to use Avahi.

Just my $.02

Hub