organizing kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 20:08:19 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 23, 2007, you wrote:
> > That's the point. If (or given that) we provide enough tools, you can make
> > useful addons in shell scripts using kdialog, kread/writeconfig, etc.
> > Those scripts have runtime requirements: kdebase/runtime.
>
> i fear we are missing the salient point, and that's probably my fault for not
> stating it simply and clearly:
>
> 1) a kde environment does not function properly without runtime/
> 2) a kde environment functions fine without tools/

I didn't miss that point. But the default kde working isn't enough.
A kde environment where you can download and install something which will fail with
ksometool:2: command not found: kdialog
does not "function" properly IMHO.

However this thread is starting to look like bikeshedding so I'll stop there and let
you do whichever you see fit ;) I just think this line is being drawn too thin and will
keep coming back to bite us. The fact that startkde used kreadconfig until not so
long ago proves that: it would have meant moving kreadconfig between runtime
and tools whenever we change our mind about using it in startkde or not...