I "like" Mandriva's attitude (Fwd: Re: well-known user folders, a proposal)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Fri Feb 23 07:59:47 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 02:41, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 22, 2007, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > This is free software, so no
>
> that is an excuse of a reason. it's not like all non-free software houses
> are great in this regard, and a free software group can be good at it too.

Free or non-free isn't the problem, it amounts to how easy it is to get the
info you need. Call it user-friendliness at the documentation level :-).
That's a pretty tough problem and I won't claim to have all the solutions
here. Trolltech is a very good example to follow, though.

> what would make it less complicated for you?

This guide
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/userguide/kde-for-administrators.html
(which you've just said you didn't know about - it's fair to expect the
mandriva grunt working on KDE integration won't either) is a very good start.
It just needs to be fleshed out and published more prominently. A doc.kde.org
site with a mainpage being a quick roadmap to user/admin/dev docs would be
great. Then advertise it as a single entry-point for all KDE help.

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org