kuiserver future (to gui or not to gui)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 17:09:36 GMT 2007

On February 22, 2007, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> This way, we could write in the future a plasma plugin (plasmoid) that
> makes calls and receives signals to/from the kuiserver itself. I think this
> way we can integrate this even better into the desktop.

i thought we had discussed this already at least once on irc?

anyways... here's why we need a stand-alone gui:

- the user may be running a kde application out side of the kde workspace.
- the user may configure their workspace not use that plasmoid plugin
- until the workspace is fully loaded, there may be jobs that should have user
feedback

in the latter case, kuiserver should be available and registered on the dbus.
when another application (e.g. plasma) appears it can take over the dbus
service. dbus allows such take-overs, so it should be a problem.

kuiserver can even give up the service and put itself back in the queue so
if/when the app (e.g. plasma) disappears later kuiserver will be reinstated
as the fallback again until something once again comes along to take over for
it. it could even be made a dbus autostart service so simply making a call to
ord.kde.kuiserver would cause it to be started if it wasn't already.

this would make the code that starts kuiserver in Observer::Observer
unnecessary as well.

i don't see the point of having an app that listens to dbus so it can send out
dbus, though, unless we wish to multiplex the views? i'm not sure what the
use case there would be, since that sort of goes in the opposite direction of
why we have a uiserver in the first place =) (to centralize it)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se