comboboxes - sorted lists in KDE4 - idea

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 12:27:00 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 10:21, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Unfortunaltely a lot of application return the items in a combobox/drop
> down list unsorted and/or ungrouped
> While it make sense for some lists not to be sorted because the list is
> short and / or some other reasoning is valid - (default item should be on
> the first place, To/CC/BCC in addresses New Mail) for all lists with a big
> number of items - alphabetical sorting is a must IMHO.

Some points;

As Ferdinand said; long lists should be typically be a listview.
For most comboboxes sorting can very well be based on usage. Since you
mentioned KMail, I made the ordering in the combobox that filters which
messages there are to be based on most used.  'any' at top, 'unread' next.
etc.
More importantly; there is no generic method in KDE to store items that can be
translated in a combobox and get the untranslated 'key' back when a user
selects something. This is the main reason people insert items in a static
ordering.

So, your idea to sort items goes wrong on many levels, as stated above.
If you have some code to back your proposal that solves these issues, please
don't hold back.

--
Thomas Zander