Question to KPluginSelector

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 20 22:10:27 GMT 2007

On February 20, 2007, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> I ported this thing. This one of my first works on KDE. I will give this
> more love next week. I will probably change the layout of the items, as
> kate developers suggested.

ah, even better.. =) while you're at it, there seems to be a mem leak in
KPluginSelect::Proviate::insertKCM where errorWidget is never parented.

also, in KPluginSelect::Proviate::insertKCM it's probably good form to delete
the module if !module->realModule.

and in treeWidgetClicked the category page seems be created for every category
you click on; should there be just one category page in the stack widget
which gets reused? also, categoryLabel doesn't seem to be used at all; i
assume the idea was to list the items in that category there?

> Now I want to ask: what you think if instead the tree at the left and the
> config dialog at the right I remove the config dialog, and put a button
> below the list, for "Configure" that will show the dialog with the
> configuration.

this makes sense for konqueror (and apps like it) where pretty much none of
the items in the dialog are configurable; for kopete (and apps like it) where
most of the plugins are not only configurable but useless unless configured
this would probably be a step backwards.

> We could also add support for plugin descriptions.

that'd be nice =) in fact, if the plugin description was made nice enough
visually it might even make the otherwise empty space on the right when there
is no configurability look ok.

i can't look at it right now as my kde4 install is mildly broken with today's
changes, but does it also still have a gratuitous frame on the right side?

there's also this interesting comment in
kdebase/konqueror/konq_extensionmanager.cc

// There's a limitation of KPluginSelector here... It assumes that all plugins
in a given widget (as created by addPlugins)
// have their config in the same KConfig[Group]. So we can't show konqueror
extensions and khtml extensions

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se