How to add missing copyright and license headers to sources?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Feb 16 18:21:22 GMT 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:
> The person on IRC who told you that was also not a lawyer :)
> Its entirely OK to make clear the thing that was already fact. And if a person
> writes a large chunk of code, he holds a copyright to it. Thats the law, and
> thus a fact.

That's true of copyright, but not of license.  That's actually the
tricky part; those authors did of course already have copyright, but
without a previous license in those files it may be problematic to
assume that the authors consent to the code being BSD licensed.  I
didn't look through the current stuff, but I noticed at one point in the
past some of my (GPL) code had been copied from JuK and listed in Noatun
as BSD licensed.

-Scott