Join the KDE release team

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Feb 15 15:44:17 GMT 2007

[cross-posted from kde-devel]

Hello,

As you may know, for the KDE4 release, we are trying something a little
different: instead of having the usual small group of "gurus" handling all
release tasks, we are leveraging our community to share the load.  A KDE
release is a pretty major endeavor, requiring a lot of organization and
communication leading up to the actual creation of 4.0.0 tarballs, and we
need your help.

If you are interested in being involved in the KDE4 release, please join the
release-team mailing list[1].  We are distributing the load of release duties
by asking for volunteers to be the Release Coordinator for specific KDE
modules.  This way, you don't need to care for the entire codebase, you can
concentrate on the module that you're already familiar with.

The duties of a Release Coordinator are outlined very well in Section 3 of the
TWG Charter[2].  Basically, it involves deciding which applications will be
in the release, understanding the current state of the module (how much work
needs to be done for the release, and how much time is needed), and
communicating with the rest of the release team to make decisions on
timelines and milestones for the 4.0 release.

Some modules already have a Release Coordinator volunteer; most do not.
Please see the new developer wiki for the current list[3], and if you decide
to become a Release Coordinator, add your name to the list.

Note that it is not at all our intent to limit release duties to one person
per module!  In fact, most modules will benefit from having a team of people
working on release duties.  The Release Coordinator is basically just the
point of contact between the module's release team, and the KDE-wide release
team.  So, please join us at the release-team ML[1], and introduce yourself
by letting us know which parts of the release duties[2] you are interested in
helping with.

thanks!
Jason, for the release team

[2]: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2007-January/000001.html