kdelibs coding style

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 12 23:05:15 GMT 2007

On February 12, 2007, Urs Wolfer wrote:
> First of all, I'm aware of the age of this thread. But nothing has changed
> since then. That's why I'm writing again about this issue.

let's not rehash the discussion. it was beaten to death. and then beaten to
death again. and once more just to get it out of system. and then again
because it felt good the first three times. ;)

IOW, as jaison said: "Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

> Who has done that? People change some lines, but nobody cares about the
> formating.

so ..... i'm nobody? jeeze, i've been feeling a bit disenfranchised lately but
boy this takes it a whole new level ;-P

> * update the Library Code Policy [1] with the example by Zack. The example
> is the Trolltech Qt Coding Style. That means we follow at least in kdelibs
> our underlying library in formatting.

i think this makes sense, yes. please add it to the appropriate location on
devnew.

> * run astyle [2] over kdelibs trunk. I have tested that [3] and the result
> is quite good and follows the style described above. Try it!

no. it was decided not to do this in the thread the last time and for good
reasons. let's not restart conversation just because we can in hopes the
result is closer to our personal preferences =)

> * svn blame: reformated lines don't show the "right" revision and author.
> BUT: the same would happen when we format every single file when we edit it
> anyways. If we would like to have "nicer" code, there is no way around that
> issue.

you're missing the obvious fact that if you modify a method and you change the
style of the code you are editting that the commit log is still accurate,
which is why this is the preferred mechanism. this is not theory, i've done
it in other code bases. and yes, i'm doing it as i touch things in kdelibs as
well. it won't happen overnight, but patience is a -virtue- for a reason =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se