Ideas for Student Projects

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Feb 9 11:40:57 GMT 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 01:52:26 +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Furthermore, the prof used Linux on his desktop, but not KDE, because GNOME
> looked way more polished and gave him the impression that Gnome was years
> ahead of KDE.

...but then complained that it was a little hard to use after switching
away from using OLWM on his SPARC when IT took it away last month.
"Netscape has changed a lot," he noted.  ;-)  (Or in other words,
unless CS professors have changed drastically in the last few years,
they're hardly incidators of current trends in desktop usage.)

> Now, I'm looking for some KDE project ideas that I can propose for that
> contest. [...]

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE%20Google%20SoC%202006%20ideas

There are quite a few leftovers.

> The other possibility would be topics for bachelor or master theses
> or other lab projects. The problem is just that the students hardly know
> C++ [...]

People often mention this, but it's not like C++ was a standard
teaching language for more than a few years.  It was kind of a stopover
language in the late 90s on the way from Pascal to Java.  All things
considered, it's a lot easier to learn C++ coming from Java than most
languages.

-Scott