KDE_FULL_SESSION and version detection

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Feb 4 19:41:00 GMT 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 20:14, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2007 17:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi all...
> >
> > we need a way to differentiate a KDE4 session from a KDE3 session at
> > runtime. this is useful for, for instance, xdg-utils scripts.
> >
> > a thought that occurred to me is including a version string in
> > KDE_FULL_SESSION rather that just setting it to 'true'. simply looking
> > for kde4-config may not be (well, is not) sufficient. thoughts?
>
>  There's bound to be somebody[*] silly enough to
> write 'test "$KDE_FULL_SESSION" = "true"' instead of
> simply 'test -n "$KDE_FULL_SESSION"', so the question is whether we care.

Since sombody[*] is me, wouldn't the proposed check test for non-zero length
content of the variable instead of "true" as documented on
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-?page=Environment+Variables

If the value is not intended to be checked, wouldn't it be better to write
something like "will be set to some random junk at KDE startup"?

>  Also, doing this would mean asserting that we don't care about even basic
> KDE3 vs KDE4 backwards compatibility.

I am afraid there is a collision about having the same executable name for
KDE3 tools and KDE4 tools and the option of installing into the same prefix.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring