kcontrol empty

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Fri Feb 2 15:45:34 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 10:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 2, 2007, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > >  - rethinking kcm's
> >
> > The technical (API) aspects, or the presentation?
>
> presentation primarily. system settings ends up with some really nasty sets
> of panels with a big list on the left and a melange of panels on the right.
>
> it doesn't need to happen for 4.0, but during the kde4 cycle it would be a
> very good idea for us to rethink how we organize settings for the user in
> the individual control panels.
>
> > (is "instant apply" still a topic, or a topic for KControl at all?)
>
> i don't really know, though i'm not a fan of instant apply for things like
> the control center.

Please, no. I have enough irritation with GNOME's Control Center doing that,
and I think I'm not alone in this opinion either.

> > >  - indexing metadata effectively for search goodness
> >
> > automatic string extraction out of the KCMs instead of the handwritten
> > list in the desktop file?
>
> that'd be nice, yes =) perhaps a nice abuse of the l10n system, pulling all
> i18n'd strings?

>On February 2, 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>On February 2, 2007, Matthias Kretz wrote:
>> Yes, a group and a weight to define the order in the group.
>
>what sort of ordering? alphabetical seems logical to me, but i assume i'm
>missing some insight here...

I think he's referring to how on Mac OS X you can order the panels as
Categories or Alphabetical. Am I right in assuming that SystemSettings works
much in the same manner Matthias?

Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net
 10:41:29 up 11 days, 17:59,  7 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.07, 0.01
Developer and Project Lead for the AltimatOS open source project
Volunteer Developer for the KDE open source project
 See www.tolharadys.net and www.kde.org for more information