kcontrol empty

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 2 13:57:51 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 2, 2007, Marcus Hufgard (Kalkwerk Hufgard GmbH) wrote:
> > I had a bad problem. Under the actuall svn build of KDE4 my control
> > Center is empty. There is no index.
> >
> > I use kunbuntu and build the actuall svn.
> >
> > Do you have any idea?
>
> as matthias noted, use kcmshell for now (`kcmshell --list`) or write a patch
> for kcontrol to look in the right place for control panels.. they were moved
> to services/ out of the apps area.

... so the solution is to use KServiceTypeTrader to locate the available kcontrol services.

I also think that kubuntu's systemsettings would make a much better user
interface than the treeview approach. But that's orthogonal I guess, we need to locate
the services before we can change the way they are presented. Which makes me wonder
how systemsettings works: does it hardcode which modules to show and where, or does
it use the desktop files for that.