Shipping a cursor theme with KDE

pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Fri Dec 28 10:34:30 GMT 2007

A Friday 28 December 2007 10:24:53, Albert Astals Cid escreveu:
> A Divendres 28 Desembre 2007, Riccardo Iaconelli va escriure:
> > On Thursday 27 December 2007 14:43:23 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > Since I got addressed personally I'll reply. Note that it'll be the
> > > last mail from me, this topic just got too many mails already...

> > > You completely missed the point, the thing is:
> > > 1) Even what you call "pure artwork"[*] might trigger issues,
> >
> > What kind of issues? The only one I can eventually find is them becoming
> > boring, or inappropriate for a long term use. And here I'm sorry but I'm
> > not really willing to accept your judgment. Experts in this topic have
> > evaluated and approved the theme, working in the whole process of
> > defining something nice and appropriate for the long-term everyday use.
> > If you have other issues in mind, please tell, this is really the only
> > thing I can imagine. =)
> >
> > > 2) Then, it's really too close to the release because it didn't get
> > > widespread testing.
> >
> > What would be the testing needed for cursors? The proof that they will
> > work well also in one year? Then I already answered you just above.
> >
> > > [*] And you're having a very relaxed definition IMHO, cursor theme have
> > > a special treatment and can ruin user experience.
> >
> > See above.
> >
> > Still, maybe it's me, but I don't really get your point.
> > For what I understand, the practical reason for deadlines (apart for
> > translations) is to avoid regression before a release, and be sure to
> > have a consistent and finished product. So this is not the case, the
> > complaint doesn't apply to this situation.
> >
> > Oh, and about the "sends the wrong signal to people" this is not true, at
> > least from how I understant this theme. Because I do think that this is
> > not really a new feature, or at least it's not at the same level of code:
> > consequentially it's not (and it should never be) subject to the same
> > kind of freeze and treatment than a new feature, say, in okular, would
> > receive. This is just a new piece of art that cannot harm, just like a
> > new icon committed in SVN is.
> > And sorry for stressing a bit this metaphore, but this *is* actually the
> > case!
>
> Yes, but freeze is freeze, and applies equal to everything, art and code,
> we are just allowing new icons because they are started but not finished
> and we don't want to ship a half-done icon set.
>
> In your case this is not started, so i do not really see a reason why it
> should go in.
>
> Wait for 4.1
>
> Albert

not being extremly neet picking but cursors are icons 2...
but hey no harm no foul :)
The main reson this went in so late was couse ricardo was working in other
code wise areas of kde.
There are loads of significant changes code wise and art wise goin in as we
speack. Some vastly supirior on how they afect the look and experience of the
user....

--

core oxygen icon designer