kdeutils maintainer? khexedit program unmaintained

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Dec 1 03:12:21 GMT 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 14:34:51 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Module_Status#Module_Status I
> read there is no Release Maintainer for kdeutils. So who decides/cares there?
> I guess this list, then.

The Release Team, so I'll copy this over to our mailing list.

> With KHexEdit currently there is a tricky situation. Under kdeutils/khexedit
> live two separate projects, the program KHexEdit and the binary editor plugin
> (see the subdirs core, gui, parts), project name Okteta*.  I personally only
> care for Okteta, but not for the program (see footnote why).
>
> Right now KHexEdit is roughly ported and runs, but is not fully functional
> (painting draws outside of PaintEvent, view tabs running wild and crash the
> program, html/rtf export not working). So not really in release state (yet).
> Two solutions:
> 1. Exclude from release and hope for me getting Okteta ready for the next one.
> 2. Search maintainer and fix KHexEdit.
>
> I favour #1 (one program to rule things, no conflicts ;) But I understand
> those who like #2 more, just tell me what you think.
> In case most like #2 more I would blog and mail a maintainer query to Danny
> for inclusion in the digest.
>
> So?
>
> * Both projects share no code, as the plugin was written from scratch. Instead
> of modifying KHexEdit to make use of the libs, I decided to write a program
> also from scratch, using the libs. I am only halfway done, see
> playground/utils/okteta. Bookmarks, Undo, and embedded search dialog are
> still missing to match KHexEdit's features, but else looks good.
>
> Friedrich

If khexedit (the application) is truly terrible and unmaintained then we shouldn't
release it.  We should remove khexedit from kdeutils and plan on Okteta for 4.1.
In the meantime, Okteta should be developed in playground.
IOW: I agree with option 1.

This is the same plan we are following for KAider replacing KBabel.