Patch: Colored debug

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:31:11 BST 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 01:07:37 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to commit the attached patch.
> It does coloration of the kdebug stream as seen on the screenshot
> http://bepointbe.be/files/tmp/kdebug1.png
>
> I think it make the debug output much more easier to read.
>
> Is there any objections ?   or do you want more colors ?

I actually think that this is a great idea. While the text terminal is still
the most powerful tool for some things there is no reason to pretend that
it's still connected to a teletype (that's where "tty" comes from) that
hammers black and white letters on paper. We should always use every facility
available to us on the vast majority of systems, and colorful text is one of
them. Go for it.
Could you also make kWarning()'s (or whatever its name is) output red, bold or
whatever? Warnings are more interesting if used correctly so they should
stand out. If there's a warning there is a nontrivial chance that things are,
actually, going really wrong.
Thanks in advance :)