death to kdeaddons, long live extragear!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 30 03:50:04 BST 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> mention that cpack which comes with cmake has improved a lot in cvs, which
> will become cmake 2.6 later this year.
> cpack can now also create debian and RPM packages.
> Projects which want to create packages with cpack need to set a bunch of
> variables and then include CPack. While this makes things ugly if you do
> this directly in the cmake files, you can of course split this into a
> separate file: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake#CPack

neat. does it handle splitting things up, so that one can then for instance
do:

cd kdebase/workspace/libs/plasma
make package

and come out with a libplasma.rpm and libplasma.deb? if so, that would be
super. it seems to imply that it would as it uses the INSTALL directives, but
i'm not sure as i haven't tried it yet and am already tired for the day.

if so, we could perhaps include some CPack directives in our projects to make
packager's lives easier: packaging things separately would become a matter of
a script recursing into various dirs and calling "make package" on it....

*thinks*

it would be -really- cool if there were per-project package targets generated
as well so one could do `make libpasma-package plasma-package` or sth along
those lines from the top level. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se