liblicense [creative commons work]

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Wed Aug 29 19:46:22 BST 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Jason K wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm one of the liblicense developers.

I'm sort of one, too, though I've contributed nearly nothing to the
project except vague suggestions and complaints.  (Jason, OTOH, has
contributed mountains of code.)

>>> I'm not open to picking up more TODOs at this point, but I'd like to state
>>> that KOffice has an interrest in using the license to allow users to
>>> select the license for a document or show details from an existing doc.
>>
>> Same for KNewStuff which so far only provides meaningless strings such
>> as "GPL".
>> The screenshots of liblicence however imply that it would make it hard to
>> select GPL, for example.
>
> That particular interface is tuned for content licenses (not source code
> licenses).  Do you have any recommendations on making it work for all
> types of licenses?  liblicense can list all available licenses, and when
> one is selected, liblicense can provide more information on that license.

One idea is to have a selector for the type of work as a radio button or
drop-down right at the top.  The liblicense API could let the library user
specify which sort of license to offer by default, and/or if to offer the
choice at all (then KDevelop could use liblicense and only show code
licenses and not let users select CC by-nc-sa).

Just a thought.

-- Asheesh.

--
Life is the urge to ecstasy.