Feedback wanted regarding prettyURL()

Stephen Leaf smileaf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:57:28 BST 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007 03:16:34 Tom Albers wrote:
> At Friday 17 August 2007 10:02, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > In KDE3, I see that the password is already stripped, so if you were
> > > actually using a login, the URL already "invalid"... except that konq
> > > is caching your credentials anyway. Therefore, what is the problem with
> > > always removing the user name? One could even argue that this improves
> > > security when logging in legitimately, in the same manner that removing
> > > the password from the displayed URL does.
> >
> > I find it very nice and helpful to see the username in an FTP and FISH
> > URL. Removing it in this cases makes it very difficult to see who I am on
> > the server.
> >
> > Jens
>
> Yep. Especially when that server also allowes anonymous access. And when
> you change the ftp path manually in the url.
>
> Toma

I understand the need to hide this, but at the same time I agree with you that
being able to see this is important also.
So here are 2 ideas:
1) Use an icon at the bottom (like the javascript error one?) and when you
hover it'll display the username, could be used to re-login with a different
username as well.
2) hide the username from the url until the user clicks on the location bar,
would allow for the user to change it, view and still be normally hidden.

--
Stephen Leaf