Which styles to keep?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 16 18:06:39 BST 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2007 20:51:50 Leo Savernik wrote:
> > This whole "Modern" style argument is based solely on the eye of
> > the beholder.
>
> Yes, judging artwork is stuff that is based on the eye of the beholder.
> Still a good visual designer will be able to find the right ratio of
> different visual offerings taking into account the range of users the
> desktop was made for. So the "artwork is judged on the eye of the beholder"
> platitude misses the point if you disregard the context.

i'd like to see this thread end yesterday. but there are obviously some very
passionate opinions that first need to get straightened out, if only for the
sake of all of us being able to work together.

i understand what Torsten, Pinheiro and others are saying: that we need to
have a beautiful / sexy / professional (different people have different words
for essentially the same rather ephemeral quality) presentation out of the
box.

i understand what others are saying, too: not everyone likes that visual
design approach and would like to be able to use something like CDE, dotNet,
Lite or Plastik.

i don't understand where those two desires are unreconcilable. it seems to me
that we can:

- present a default presentation that is full of Oxygen love
- offer alternatives for those who want something else

the "something else" which would live as an option in a list in a control
panel won't interfere with the desktop experience one bit since people won't
see it unless they actually go to that control panel (implying they want to
explore the alternatives). i do see how not having that "something else" will
piss off everyone who doesn't like Oxygen (and yes, they will and do exist;
art is not universal).

if you feel that statement is wrong, Torsten and Pinheiro, then please explain
exactly how. if you don't think that is wrong, then please say so and we can
all move on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se