plugin loading (was: kcmoduleinfo / Plugin linking problem)

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Aug 15 13:42:21 BST 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sunday 12 August 2007 12:44:42 Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > attached you'll find some code examples of the current way our KDE
> > plugin code works (please correct me if I'm wrong there) and some code
> > how I think it could look. There's no way to support one export macro
> > per plugin class if we want to use Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 so my suggestion
> > uses one factory class per DSO
>
> []
>
> I could not follow this topic fully, is this mostly for storing two items
> into one plugin?

I guess you meant the same, but the unambiguous phrasing is "storing two
plugins into one library/DSO". This is one of the things this is about. The
others are getting rid of K_EXPORT_COMPONENT_FACTORY and possibly use
Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN(2) only and making it possible to implement KDE plugin
interfaces using a scripting language without having to use C++ to implement
a factory for every single plugin.

> KOffice has a KoPluginLoader that may be interresting to read up on.  It
> would be good to know that that stuff keeps on working :)

I looked at it now and it's no problem to keep it working. OTOH I think it's a
rather specialized plugin loader and not generic enough for kdelibs use.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de