Which styles to keep?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 15 10:51:13 BST 2007

On Tuesday 14 of August 2007, pinheiro wrote:
> A Tuesday 14 August 2007 12:10:30, Lubos Lunak escreveu:
> > On Monday 13 of August 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > > I personally would like to support fredrik's and nuno's opinion.
> > >
> > > It makes no sense to discuss whether the styles and themes that were
> > > once designed for KDE3 could be technically ported to KDE 4. Keeping
> > > the look and feel of KDE3 styles makes as much sense from the point of
> > > view of an artist as keeping qt3-support classes in KDE4's release
> > > code.
> > >
> > > For artists who have put as much energy into KDE4's look and feel as
> > > the Oxygen Team I can already imagine the pain and embarrasment they
> > > would feel if they had to look at screenshots that combine Oxygen Art
> > > with some really outdated looking style theme.
> >
> >  Ok, and roughly how much paint would artists feel looking at something
> > like http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/download/desktop.png ?
>
> bbbbbbfffffff is that the image you want to give of kde???

 No. I don't give a damn what image of KDE you guys want. I want this to be
the image of _my_ KDE and that's the thing you guys don't get.

 "KDE4 image completely ruined by shipping CDE style as an option in
kdeartwork module!" - that's ridiculous. Most people are not even going to
find out it's there, they'll just see the default, whatever it is.

> image is very important couse in todays world people will only give you 5
> seconds of atention if you only have 5 seconds you beter show them a very
> good sexy image so they give you an extra 5 seconds of atentin so you can
> explain how that sexy thing will kick his ass.

 Yes, and that's why we are going to have Oxygen. Except, I don't need to
impress myself. Oxygen is all nice and flashy and whatnot, but I'd prefer a
style where I can clearly see the things.

 I can promise I'll switch the style before making any public screenshots or
videos if you want. Not that I remember anybody complaining about that for
any of the kwin_composite videos.

> that screenie makes me think "haaaaaaaa havent seen that since my
> hummmm.... what was the name of that computer i hadd..... haaa it was an
> 286....DX2 66 Mhz.... o well moving alongm, look a iphone humm those look
> sweet"

 BTW, the Cleanlooks style I see in the KDE4 kcmstyle module looks quite
similar to some of the KDE3 styles (except that it has thinner outlines
making it harder to see things) - does that mean that one is obsolete too?

> well all of that is nice but look at the competition, and what the comon
> user thinks, aparently looks is important iphone does not give you anything
> terrably new but it looks sexy and everybody wants one, so the competition
> has to adapt to it.
[some more comments about how shipping KDE3 styles with KDE4 is going to
destroy our image, like if I wanted to make them the default or something]

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz