Which styles to keep?

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Sat Aug 11 20:50:16 BST 2007

There's an amount of highly subjective emotional stuff (styles, backgrounds,
windecos, color schemes, themes, KDM themes) that will be in KDE 4.

What's in for The Release clearly will state everything about our seriousness
and our commitment towards breathtaking beauty and towards the User.
We're not obliged to put lots of half-ported half-crashing (heart-breaking)
stuff in 4.0, so why don't we choose a small set of great defaults? There is
plenty of room in 4.1 (where the added stuff will be positively perceived
as 'new').

The Oxygen/Artwork team is driving a contest right now, to choose a Set of
Backgrounds for 4.0. Maybe the same should be done for the other 4-5 items.
So, Mosfet, before porting it may be good to know the final list of items for
each category, because I agree with you that not everything is worth the 4.0.
Lists may be added and discussed on the TechBase.. or maybe we can ask the
artists?

On Saturday 11 August 2007 16:14:55 Mosfet wrote:
> I've been going through the styles and looking at what needs porting work.
>
> The old KWin styles are in much better shape than the old widget styles.
> While I am not going to suggest what to keep and what should go, (I got in
> trouble the last time I did that ;-), but I wonder if it is worth the
> porting effort to do all of these.
>
> The old widget styles include:
> highcolor
> highcontrast
> kthemestyle
> light
> riscos
> web
>
> These appear to be mostly ported by the Qt3 script. If they are to stay
> I'll port by hand but I personally don't think it's worth the effort for
> most of these. They don't hold up compared to modern styles and KThemeStyle
> at least is going to be obsoleted by the svg theme thingy.
>
> Like I said, the KWin styles seem to be in better shape so presents less of
> a problem.

 Sponsor:
 Tutti il MERCHANDISING dello SPORT a prezzi di SALDO! Approfittane, occasioni solo on line. Compra subito la maglia del tuo idolo.
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6909&d=11-8