[kde-artists] kdelibs 3/4 conflicts, plan

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Fri Aug 10 15:22:29 BST 2007

On Friday, 3. August 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > [08:01] <rdieter> still seeing lots of kdelibs(3)/kdelibs(4) parallel
> > install conflicts:
> > http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter1/kde/kdelibs-3.5.7_3.92.0-conflicts.txt
> >   suggestions?
> > [08:02] <rdieter> (icons mostly, from the look of it)
>
> This reminds me that I wanted to ask: can we move the icons to
> kdebase/runtime? They are not required at compilation time so they belong
> in kdebase anyway.

That would be okay from my side. For the final KDE 4.0 release, I'd prefer
having module/application specific icons in the modules that use them, but
for now kdebase/runtime would be fine as well.

Well if we're at it, let's maybe discuss that one right away.

There are two good reasons for moving icons to the modules where they belong:

1. kdebase/runtime doesn't consume unnecessary space for icons whose
   applications are possibly not even installed.

2. A more minimal icon set is better for cross-desktop icon themability.

Ad point 2:
KDE, as you probably know, will try to conform to the freedesktop.org icon
naming specification as good as reasonable. That means we're going to have a
set of base icons that are both in Tango/GNOME and in KDE (the artists are
dedicated to completing Oxygen with all icons from the specification).

That, in turn, means that many GNOME apps will run in KDE with properly themed
icons when Oxygen or other KDE 4 icon themes are selected. For the opposite
case, KDE apps using icons from GNOME sets, we want to encourage applications
using "standard" specified icons instead of KDE-only ones. And as all KDE
apps can use the kdebase/runtime icons, they'll likely make use of those.

So I'd like to have only icons in kdebase/runtime that are
a) specified by the fd.o icon naming specification, or
b) required by kdelibs or kdebase/runtime, or
c) really a good thing to be shared widely, because they're so popular.

If we could move all other icons out of there, that would be great.

Of course, the naive solution would be more tedious for the artists,
so I propose the following:

1. Initially, icons are moved to kdebase/runtime as previously stated.
2. We get a separate, non-released directory in SVN,
    e.g. /trunk/kdesupport/oxygen, with a folder structure like this:

oxygen/
   kdebase/
      scalable/
      128x128/
      64x64/
      48x48/
      32x32/
      22x22/
      16x16/
      8x8/
   kdegraphics/
      (same as above)
   kdevelop/
      (same as above)
   koffice/
      (same as above)

And each of the {kdebase,kdegraphics,...} directories would be
svn-externals symlinked to the actual module
(/trunk/KDE/kdebase/icons/oxygen, /trunk/KDE/kdegraphics/icons/oxygen, ...).
When that directory structure has been created, we can then start to move
icons out of kdebase/runtime.

So the artists would have all the icons in one place so that they don't need
to check out all the modules in order to work on their artwork, and the icons
could nevertheless be split up where they logically belong.

What do you think about this? Is it feasible?